So recently I was on skype with my friend Gemma and her adorable baby Sadie and she was baking banana bread while we were chatting and it was so cute to see Sadie enjoying some freshly baked goodies. Now I had sworn off baking desserts because I seem to always burn everything – but chatting with Gem and Sadie inspired me to try again.
Unfortunately, Andres and I are both pigs and we don’t have the patience to take photos of food but I promise the next time bake I will actually take photos of the end result. Anyway, I combined a few recipes that I found online and tweaked it [well, I am not a fan of strict measurements but lets just say I tweaked it to make it sound like I know what I am doing].
- 2 cups of self-raising flour [approx. 250 grams]
- 3 – 4 ripe bananas [I used lady finger bananas because they are Andres’ fave]
- 1 cup of unsalted butter [approx 125 grams]
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of runny honey [I just heated the honey in the microwave for a couple of seconds]
- 4 tablespoons of concentrated apple juice
- 1/4 cup of walnuts [optional]
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 1 litre loaf tin [I used olive oil and then dusted the sides with flour].
- Peel and add the bananas to a mixing bowl and using fork mash the bananas until you have got a mixture of smooth and chunky. Add apple juice to the bananas and stir to combine and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat melted butter with a wooden spoon until it is creamy in texture.
- Crack one egg at a time, beating each one well before adding in the next.
- Fold in the four, cinnamon, honey and banana mixture [but make sure you don’t over mix].
- Chop the walnuts and fold into the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture in to the loaf tin and bake for about 40 minutes or until it is golden brown and cooked all the way through [oven temperature was set at 180 degrees Celsius]
- Once you take it out of the oven, let it rest for a bit before you turn it out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
Now I LOVE toasting my banana bread and spreading some strawberry jam on it! If this is too out there and unhealthy for you maybe just lightly toast the banana bread before eating 😀 Also thank you Gem and Sadie for inspiring me to bake, my tummy loves you!!!
Good luck on your baking adventures!